Losing-It

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

She Shoots! She SCOOOOOORES!

stockvault_16096_20090405

Goals!  They are IMPORTANT when you are trying to lose weight.  The first thing you should do is take a look at your current weight and find out what your ideal weight should be.  It is always a good idea to ask a professional for their opinion on this.  Now that you know what your weight is, what your weight should be, its time to write down your first goal.  The first goal is your overall outcome.  How much are you in it to lose?  20lbs? 30lbs?  More?  I am going to use myself as an example here…I started out at 196lbs *gasp*, while talking to a health care provider, I was told that for my age,  my height, my bone structure, etc., I should be no more then 130-135lbs.  So that is what I set my main goal as, I need to lose 66lbs.

Outcome Goal – Lose 66lbs

Wow, that seems a little daunting now, doesnt it?  SO!  Instead of walking head on full of trepidation, I decided that MINI goals were necessary.  Mini goals are the ones you set that work you up to your initial goal.  They help!  They really do!  What is harder to think about … losing 70lbs?  Or losing 10lbs?  Imagine the delight you will feel knowing that you are hitting those goals.  It is also good to reward yourself when you hit each mini goal and your final goal.  Something small to say, Hey, I did it!  I deserve it!  Now I am treating myself for all that hard work!  I joke that I celebrate my weight loss with ice cream and cheesecake.  lol  NOT a good idea to use junk food as your mini goal rewards.  Why?  That is what got you here in the first place, is it not?  ;)  Here are how I set my goals and rewards.

Mini Goals – Lose weight at 5 & 10lb Intervals

10lbs – HIT!

10 lbs (20 total)  - HIT!

5lbs (25lbs total)

5lbs (30 total)

10lbs (40 total)

10lbs (50 total)

10lbs (60 total)

5lbs (DONE!)

At each goal I have plans for small items.  When I lost 10lbs, I bought myself some new nail polish.  At 20lbs I gave myself $20 dollars to buy myself some treats, I bought a new scarf and a new shirt.  ( I am a bargain hunter.  ;))  At 25lbs I am treating myself to some clothing for summer, at 30lbs I am rewarding myself with a trip to Michael’s, etc..

So go ahead, sit down with paper, pen and get thinking.  Write them down and hang them somewhere you can see them!  Share them with a friend so they can help you hit them!  :)  What are YOUR goals?  What are YOUR rewards?  Remember, YOU DESERVE THIS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment